THE FIELD FOUNDATION
Founded in 1940 by Marshall Field III, the Field Foundation is a private, independent foundation that has been dedicated to the promise of Chicago for over 80 years. The Field Foundation aims its grantmaking toward the goal of Community Empowerment through Justice, Art and Leadership Investment. With racial equity at the center of its giving, it directs dollars to critical organizations working to address systemic issues in Chicago and aims to directly benefit some of the city’s most divested communities.
At the heart of the Field Foundation’s work is a commitment to community-centered empowerment.
If you like keeping things organized and are mission driven the role of Grants Administrator could be for you.
The Grants Administrator will be a critical member of the Field Foundation Team, operating as the grants management lead (50%), providing administrative assistance (25%) and human resource management (25%). This unique role reports jointly to the President and Chief Operating Officer. The Grants Administrator works across all areas of the Foundation, including Human Resources, and collaborates with accounting and IT to ensure effective and efficient grantmaking processes. The Grants Administrator also serves as the system administrator for the Foundation’s grants management database. Currently this role is 80% remote with one day in the office per week.
Grant Management (50%)
- Maintain working knowledge of the Foundation’s programs and priority funding areas and remain abreast of current research, activities, and trends in the philanthropic
- Lead the grants management and reporting with the Foundation’s external funding partners and their related grants.
- Monitor grants for legal, financial, and program compliance including but not limited to ensuring that grant requirements are correctly documented in the grant files and database.
- Monitor and document the grantmaking workflow processes, forms, templates, reports and data to assure full compliance with internal controls and legal
- Generate reports and data analysis for program and finance team or
- Problem-solve complex grant scenarios; consult/liaise with finance and/or legal
- Work with finance to generate reporting required for compliance and financial statement
- Partner with members of the program team and finance personnel to ensure accurate and adequate paper and electronic document
- Maintain regular communication with other foundation professionals in the grants management
- Ensure all staff are aware and knowledgeable of grants management processes and technology to the degree their functions This includes designing dashboards and training staff both formally and informally. Implement and maintain protocols for testing and reconciling data accuracy and making timely and accurate database changes.
- Manage system upgrades, troubleshooting, and roll-out of updates including staff notifications and training.
- Develop training materials and standard operating procedures.
Administrative Assistance and Human Resources (25%)
- Lead the scheduling of the Foundation President’s internal and external meetings including any needed preparation and follow-up.
- Organize the Foundation’s board and committee meetings including location, food, reminders, and other correspondence.
- Manage renewal and pricing of insurance plans: health, life, disability, dental, flex spending, transit, general liability and 403b.
- Update/maintain staff paid time off records.
- Maintain and manage personnel files.
- Assist in end of year personnel salary adjustments such as letters informing employees of salary adjustments.
- Assist in updating the Foundation’s employee handbook/policies.
- Liaison with an online HR consultant to understand best practices and to update policies.
- Assist with generating contracts for consultants.
- Assist in the hiring or terminating of employees.
Other Responsibilities (25%)
- Manage and organize payment of foundation bills and invoices using QuickBooks.
- Organize and maintain a shared staff calendar leading zoom and in person scheduling for Field team.
- Assist with board book production and preparation.
- Assist in editing materials and preparing relevant
- Design and maintain filing systems for the Foundation’s paper and electronic records including holding confidential and HR related documents.
- Participate in weekly staff
- Participate in weekly substantive check-ins with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Collaborate with Program Team, Finance Team, IT, and President on special projects as
- Perform other related projects or work as
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The Grants Administrator will be motivated by a passion for the Field Foundation’s mission and a drive for continuous learning and improvement. This role requires an individual who can balance strong attention to detail and analytical skills with an engaging, consultative, relationship-focused approach to working with people.
A successful Grants Administrator will share the values of the Field Foundation and be adept at managing a project from inception to completion and have an innate ability to prioritize and synthesize information. A comfort with ambiguity and competing priorities is vital.
Additional, valued qualifications include:
- Ability and knowledge of QuickBooks and paying bills online
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially with Excel and Word
- Experience with database systems, (Foundant) or comparable grants management software preferred
- Familiarity with private foundation approaches, grant requirements and processes
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to meet weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines
- Professional, flexible, with an ability to multitask and a can-do attitude
Candidates should have a minimum of five–seven years of professional work experience, with some knowledge of nonprofits or grantmaking. Legal administrative experience and management systems is helpful but not required. Knowledge of Chicago and its south and west side communities is an advantage.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION:
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and offers a salary of $80,000.
Please send an email referring to GRANTS ADMINISTRATOR POSTION in the subject line along with a resume and one-page cover letter explaining your interest and how your skills and work experience fit the position to email@example.com
To download the position description click here.